Sunday, February 24, 2008

New Hebrides

Inscription on the back of the photo: To my Darling wife with all my Love & kisses. Your Loving Babe. Glora, Lucine, Babe
























My father had beautiful handwriting and a cool nickname, lol. This was probably taken in '43 or '44. He didn't talk much about the war, and all I got from the quick research I did on New Hebrides was that it was an important outpost in the battle for the South Pacific, Guadalcanal in particular. The battle for Guadalcanal, won by the Allies and considered the turning point in the war, was waged between August 1942 and February 1943. I'm sure my father went to New Hebrides after that battle, because my parents weren't married until late 1943. [Click To Enlarge]

3 comments:

Fénix - Bostonscapes said...

I know this is personal..., but if you don't mind my asking, what do you feel when you look at that photo, George? Not about the war, but about seeing your dad as a young man now that you are older than he was in that photo.

BeanTownBoy said...

Fenix: Ah, that question prompted me to think, and think, and think some more. I like you!

The first time I saw the photo I immediately fell in love with it, because, as far as I know, it is the only photo that exists of my father as a young man - before any of his kids were born. I cherish it, and will only give copies to my brothers, lol. Pondering your question, my first thought was that I'm proud to be his son, and to have had him as a father. He was a decent man that served his country, worked hard all his life, and provided as best he could for his family. My second thought was, "I miss him." He died at age 80, in 1996. My third thought was how little I really knew him, even though I grew up with him, and had a relationship with him till he died. I can generalize, as I did with my first thought, but he was just not a man of very many words, and therefore much of his early life is a mystery to me.

I hope that answers your question. And, I don't mind you being personal at all.

Fénix - Bostonscapes said...

Yes, it does, in a very lovely way. Thank you. And... Thank you.